Kenwood TM-V71A - VHF/UHF Dual-band mobile radio
- The TM-V71A provides an impressive 50 watts of RF power (VHF & UHF), with a choice of High/Mid/Low output.
- In addition to simultaneous receive on both VHF and UHF bands, this radio can receive two frequencies on the very same band. This means, for example, that you can have both the call channel and local channel, or the repeater channel and local channel, on the same band.
- The MCP-2A programming software is compatible with ARRL TravelPlus For Repeaters; this allows data export to the radio, making trip planning easy. *TravelPlus is available from the ARRL at www.arrl.org
- For extra versatility, the TM-V71A has a programmable memory that can store five entire operating profiles, ready for instant recall at the push of a button. Each profile includes such settings as display mode, frequency range, and memory mode. It can equally be used to switch between 5 VFO frequencies.
- There are 1,000 split memory channels for storing essential data ? such as transmit and receive frequencies, frequency step, and tone frequency ? plus an additional 10 for programmable scan. You can identify each channel with up to 6 alphanumeric characters (Memory Name function). Additionally, memory data can be edited and stored on a PC using the optional PG-5G programming interface cable and MCP-2A Memory Control software (a free download from the Kenwood website*).*www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/software_download.html
- As well as VFO scan, program scan, MHz scan, memory scan and call scan, the TM-V71A offers memory bank scan: the 1,000 channels are grouped into 10 banks for selective scanning. Also featured are scan resume (time-operated, carrier-operated, and seek), memory channel lockout, tone scan, CTCSS scan, and DCS scan.
- For greater installation convenience, the detachable front panel can be inverted so the transceiver can be mounted upside down, thus ensuring that the speaker is not obstructed.
- To maximize visibility, the backlight color for the large LCD panel can be switched between warm amber and cool green.
- In addition to CTCSS (42 subtone frequencies), the TM-V71A is equipped for DCS (104 codes). Whatever code is chosen, the squelch will only open for reception if the other party uses the identical code.
- The audible announcement function is enabled for blind-key operation using the optional VGS-1 unit, which also provides up to 30 seconds of continuous recording.
- This transceiver is capable of receiving the NOAA Weather Band and responding to emergency transmissions such as storm warnings by emitting an audible alert tone.
- When the TM-V71A is connected to a PC (with the necessary Windows-compatible software installed) using the PG-5H option, it can operate as a node terminal for EchoLink?. EchoLink? connects radio amateurs through the Internet using VoIP technology: any transceiver with access to a node can connect to any other in theworld as long as it too has node access. It is also possible to access the EchoLink? network directly from a PC. To register for EchoLink? (using your call sign), access the official website at www.echolink.org. EchoLink? MEMORY (AUTOMATIC DIALER) Up to 10 DTMF memory channels dedicated to EchoLink? can store call signs (or conference names) and Node Numbers. Memory Control is also possible using a PC with the MCP-2A software.