The Ameritron ALS-1306 is 1200-watt nominal output, 160 through 6-meter amateur radio band, solid-state amplifier. The ALS-1306 uses eight 50-volt, conservatively rated, linear RF MOSFETs. These MOSFETs are specifically designed for linear power amplifier applications, not class C or pulse service. They provide exceptionally low SSB distortion when compared to other solid-state devices. Fan speed is regulated by temperature sensors; assuring conservative cooling with minimal noise.
Nominal driving power is 100-watts for 1200-watts output approximately 11 dB gain) on most bands. The compact 10” wide by 6-1/2” high amplifier package (depth only 18”) fits nearly any station configuration. The attractive desktop amplifier unit weighs only 24 pounds.
An external 50-volt 50-ampere regulated power supply powers the ALS-1306. The power supply is wired for 240 VAC (200-260 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 15 amperes), but can be rewired for 120 VAC operation for lighter duty operation.
The external power supply for the ALS-1306 is a voltage-regulated current-limited switching supply. It contains 14-volt positive and negative supplies, as well as dual 50-volt 25-ampere continuous (30-ampere peak) fully current-limited supplies. Each PA (power amplifier) module in the ALS-1306 operates from independent 50-volt modules, giving a total dc supply rating of 2500 watts average power and 3000 watts peak power to the power amplifier modules. Power supply to amplifier interconnections are through a heavy-duty cable using a large Cinch Jones connector.
ALS-1306 reliability is insured by using eight rugged MRF-150 power FETs. They are mounted on the dual heavy duty heat sink and properly arranged to spread out the heat over a large surface. This is something that other amplifiers using a single power device cannot do. Some FETs actually are a package of several transistors in one large case. This concentrates all of the heat in one small package. They not only are more difficult to cool, if one transistor fails, they all have to be replaced.
The ALS-1306 RF deck operates at 50 Volts for efficient, low distortion linear RF power service. It’s cooled by a whisper quiet cooling fan. Fan speed is regulated by temperature sensors, assuring minimum noise for adequate cooling.
LED-illuminated Cross-Needle SWR/Wattmeter lets you read SWR, forward and reflected peak power simultaneously. You also get ALC, SWR, PA balance and current metering with LED back-light. An Operate/Standby switch lets you run “barefoot”, but you can instantly switch to full power if needed. Front-panel ALC control! This exclusive Ameritron feature lets you adjust output power on the convenient front panel display. You get front panel operation, band and error LED indicators like reflected power and bandswitch errors. Automatic Band Switching! Put your amplifier and power supply out-of-the-way! Control your amplifier directly from your rig!
ALS-1306 automatic band switching capability reads band data from your transceiver and automatically changes bands as you make adjustments on your transceiver. An optional interface cable is required for your particular radio. See DB cable section on page 100. Clean, Modular Construction Unlike other solid state amplifier designs that are packed so tightly they are unserviceable, Ameritron’s ALS-1306 amplifier construction is super-clean with easy-service modular construction. ALS-1306 Power Supply The ALS-1306 is powered by a 50 VDC switching power supply. Comes with a pre-wired cable to plug into the ALS-1306.
The hash-free fully regulated swtiching power supply is only 12 lbs. and measures a compact 10W x 6 1/2H x 9 1/2D inches. It can be placed conveniently out-of-the-way at your operating station. Output is 50 VDC at 50 Amps to the ALS-1306. Wired for 220 VAC, selectable to 110 VAC. Draws less than 25Amps at 110 VAC; 12A@220 VAC.
|Rig Interface Cable Chart|
|DB-13D||Icom IC-706/7000/718 & others w/13-pin din|
|DB-7DI||Icom with ACC2 7-pin din|
|DB-DB7DK||Kenwood with DB9 except TS-480|
|DB-8DY||Yaesu with standard 8-pin band data|
NOTE: FT-991 menu 143 with the old software, and 141 with the current software updates, set to LAMP to get it to work with the ARI-500, ALS-1306, ALS-606, and the RCS-12.
- 160- through 6-meter operation, full-power on six meters
- Eight conservative linear-service rated, 50-volt MOSFET transistors
- New push-pull stripline PA layout with exceptional VHF performance
- Energy-efficient solid-state design greatly reduces heat, <100-watts power line draw on receive
- Exceptional harmonic suppression
- Operational in a few seconds, no long filament warm-up time
- Clean layout with easy-to-service modular construction
- Quiet variable-speed forced-air cooling system
- Power module current and voltage meters with LED illumination
- Accurate PEP Forward and PEP Reflected output power metering
- Power module balance metering with PA unbalance protection
- Reflected power protection
- Thermal overload protection
- Bandswitch error protection
- Easy to understand front panel LED indicators for rapid fault-error diagnosis
- Standard negative-going ALC output with front panel adjustment
- ALC metering and ALC LED indicator
- Fully-regulated external power supply
- Compact size 17.5” deep x 7” high x 10.5” wide
- Weight amplifier section 23 pounds
- Efficient operation from 200-260 volts ac (12 amperes typical at full output power).
- Low standby and receive power drain, typically less than 100-watts.
- Generator and inverter friendly with acceptable power line frequency range 40 to 400 Hz.
- Fully regulated current-limited outputs.
- Step-start to limit stress on power supply components.
- Exceptional filtering and RFI suppression eliminates receiver birdies common to most SMPS.
- Compact light weight design.
|1.8 - 2.1 MHz|
|80||3.2 - 4.2 MHz|
|40||6.0 - 7.5 MHz|
|30||7.5 - 14.5 MHz||USA 30-meter power limit currently 200-watts|
|20||7.5 - 14.5 MHz|
|17||14.5 - 22.0 MHz|
|15||14.5 - 22.0 MHz|
|12||22.0 - 30.0 MHz||Amplifier automatically disables above 25 MHz|
|10||22.0 - 30.0 MHz||Amplifier automatically disables below 28 MHz|
|6||50.0 - 54.0 MHz|
Caution: This amplifier has an FCC mandated automatic disconnect and other features preventing 27-MHz operation. There is no available circuitry or control provision to circumvent this lockout.
Ameritron ALS-1306 1200W Solid State Amplifier
Ameritron ALS-1306 External Power Supply